During its Global Spring Launch event held in Lagos, Nigeria yesterday, TECNO Mobile announced five new smartphones — The TECNO Camon X, TECNO Camon XPro, TECNO F1, TECNO F2 and TECNO POP1.
Here’s what we know so far about them.
TECNO Camon X and XPro: All about the selfie game
Not to be confused with the Camon CX series, the new TECNO Camon X series was obviously built with selfie addicts in mind. I mean, why else would anyone put a 24 megapixel front camera on a smartphone?
According to Philex Meng, Chief Marketing Officer TECNO Mobile, it goes even beyond the megapixels.
Standout selfie camera features
- “4-in-1” mode — utilises 4 different small cells to balance colour, lighting and combines them into one picture
- Bokeh effect mode to place more focus on your face than the background
- Intelligent adjustable flashlight
- “AI-powered” selfie beautification
- 3-HDR mode for portrait and group selfies.
Specs and other features
- Android 8.1 Oreo, layered with HiOS V3.3
- 16MP rear camera with ring flash and “super pixels”
- 3750 mAh battery
- 2.0GHz Octa-core processor, Mediatek Helio P23 processor
- Face ID and fingerprint security available
- 20MP selfie camera (Camon X) or 24MP (Camon XPro), both with large f/2.2aperture
- 6-inch, 18:9 display — 1440 x 720 HD (Camon X) / 2160 x 1080 Full HD (Camon XPro)
- 16GB internal, 3GB RAM and 64GB internal and 4GB RAM on the Camon X and Camon XPro respectively
Yet to be announced
TECNO F series: Go-power!
TECNO also announced the F series — TECNO F1, TECNO F2 and TECNO POP1 (aka F3) — as their new entry level models, which leverage the Android Oreo (Go edition).
The Android Oreo (Go edition) was developed specifically for entry-level smartphones and comes pre-installed with stripped down, ‘offline-first’ versions of popular Google apps such as YouTube Go, Gmail Go and other “Gos”.
Needless to say, the F series is targeted primarily at first-timers so, don’t expect all the bells and whistles of a mid to high end smartphone.
- Android Oreo (Go edition)
- 5.7-inch, 18:9 display
- 8MP rear camera
- 2MP selfie camera (5MP for the POP1)
- 1.3GHz quad-core MT6735 processor
- 3000 mAh battery
- 1GB RAM, 16GB internal storage
- Fingerprint sensor (surprise!)
Ranging from ₦27,000 to ₦35,000 (unconfirmed).
All the new smartphones go on sale this April.